Okay so one thing about me is I like music. I used to be obsessed with the song ‘Oh Sheila’ and ‘Love you down’ by Ready for the World. Now I was born in ‘91 but I’ve always loved 80s music…every kind! EXCEPT do not play ‘Africa’ by Toto around me or I will get angry. Any way, where am I going with this? Oh yea, the point of this post I titled ‘Ready for the World’. I’m trying to start writing down my thoughts and experiences through my fertile journey. I have been with my husband 8 years, but only married for 1. We have both wanted kids since day one but wanted to be financially and mentally ready for kids so they’d have a good life. Well that time has finally come! I am pretty mentally stable even though I have bipolar II disorder, anxiety, and PTSD. I also am now 6 years into my career and feel like I could provide a life for my kids like my parents did for me. So we decided I would stop taking birth control in October 2020 and start ‘trying to conceive’ (TTC for short). I have started tracking my basal body temperature (BBT) and taking ovulation LH tests every afternoon. I have also tried to eat better more nutrient rich food. I have been eating Vegan since October so I am also taking multivitamins and prenatal vitamins to get those other nutrients I would get from meat, eggs, and dairy. I started making fertility shakes which is basically berries, coconut milk, spinach, plant protein powder, maca, hemp seed hearts, and ground flaxseed! I’ll share my recipe below! It’s yummy 😋 Today, I’m on day 12 of my cycle so I’m supposed to ovulate around day 15. That means it’s time for a fun weekend if you know what I mean haha. The next two weeks as I wait to see if I’m in fact pregnant will be so hard! I’m starting to look into things to get my mind off it. I’m going to go back to bootcamp to help me on the health journey so I can have a healthy pregnancy when I actually do get pregnant. Last month I was for sure I was pregnant and then that dreaded day came when I started the morning after I bought some pregnancy tests. I was so annoyed and frustrated. I know I may have difficulty getting pregnant due to my endometriosis and PCOS(poly cystic ovarian syndrome). But I thought maybe I wouldn’t have any issues and I’d get pregnant right away! A girl can dream, right? Either way if it takes awhile I will be ready to bring a child into this world.
1. Add a big handful of your greens! Could be spinach (my favorite since you can’t really taste it), kale, or chard.
2. Add about 3/4 cup of berries (fresh or frozen). Try to use berries like black berries, blueberries,raspberries, cherries, and strawberries. Try to avoid adding sugary fruits like bananas and mangos. (I’ll add another yummy green smoothie one of these days that have all the island fruits!)
3. Add 1 cup of your milk or water. I prefer unsweetened coconut milk or oat milk. You can also use unsweetened almond milk, but try to avoid soy milk and dairy cow milk since you are supposed to avoid soy and dairy when TTC. You can also just use water or coconut water/ice, but I like mine more creamy.
4. Add 1 or 2 scoops of protein powder. This can be vanilla or unflavored, but I like the vanilla pea protein for taste! I avoid whey at all costs because it is dairy and upsets my stomach. I use plant protein/pea protein because it’s easier on my stomach and has many health benefits!
5. Add your fat and/or fiber! I use 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed (make sure it is ground because whole flaxseed do not absorb in your body to give you the nutrients), hemp hearts, hemp seeds, or chia seeds.
6. Add 1 tablespoon of maca powder. Maca is a superfood for fertility! It is also an aphrodisiac. It also helps with stamina and libido. A few fertility benefits are improved sperm count, hormone balance, and erectile disfunction. All of things help with what you need to make a baby naturally, so do with that information what you will! 😉
7. Blend everything up & serve! Both women & men can drink this to help your fertility and chances of getting pregnant! And plus it’s yummy!!